Wednesday 29 August 2012

Four months in...

I've had a couple of checkups since my last post. The teeth are moving well and more quickly than expected. I have my four month checkup tomorrow and at the last checkup Stephen said that I may be able to get the braces off this visit.

That won't happen, as one of my top front teeth hasn't moved to where I think it needs to go. However the teeth are pretty much completely straight now, which is great. With a bit of luck the braces can come off at the end of September.

The adjustment visits have mostly been OK, apart from the tooth filing. That remains completely, spine tinglingly repulsive. Even the assistant was shuddering last time I had it done! I've generally felt a bit of soreness for a day or two after an adjustment, but not much. I haven't even needed painkillers. Every so often I will feel a weird bit of soreness around a particular tooth for a few days and then it passes.

Now that the teeth are straight they feel as if they are filling up my mouth a bit more. As a result the brackets have become more irritating and noticeable. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of them, to be honest.

The dry mouth and lips continue. I've found a great lip balm made by Simple that has a gloss finish so it looks nice as well as helping with the dry lips.

Lipstick seems to vanish extra quickly these days, but thankfully tinted lip balms seem to be the in thing right now and they last quite well.

Flossing with braces is virtually impossible - especially since Stephen put elastic powerchains all the way along the top last visit. However, I have invested in a Phillips Sonicare airflosser. You charge it up and fill the (tiny) reservoir with water, or mouthwash. You place the nozzle at the gum line, between two teeth and press the button. The machine blasts a mixture of air and water at very high intensity. It can't be as good as floss because you only get the cleaning at the gum line. However the gum line is where most of the gunk hides, and judging by the debris that is dislodged and the amount of bleeding you get when you first start using the airflosser, it is pretty effective. Until you get the hang of closing your lips before pressing the button, however, you will find your entire bathroom filled with water droplets.

2 comments:

  1. Would be great if you had any sample pictures to show us! Considering this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may consider posting some pics - watch this space.

    ReplyDelete