Saturday 21 April 2012

First full day of braces

The stock of paracetamol remains untouched. I slept remarkably well, which I had not expected.

I was on the phone to the clinic first thing to discuss the broken bracket. They offered me an appointment later that day, but I couldn't make it so I made an appointment for Monday instead.

Had a smoothie for breakfast as I usually do before a gym class, so that was simple enough to get down. At the gym class nobody said anything about my teeth, and nobody was giving me funny looks as I spoke to them so I am supposing they didn't notice the braces. Result!

I usually have fried eggs on toast for lunch after the class. However the chef can sometimes be a bit overenthusiastic about cooking the eggs, and they end up with brown, frilly edges. I didn't think egg frill and braces would be the best of friends so I opted for scrambled eggs instead. The eggs were easy enough to eat and I even managed the centre bits of my toast. Hubby got to eat all the outer crusts - he is liking this state of affairs more and more. The bite guards are really tiresome as there is so little surface area to use for chewing. I don't think I closed my mouth properly when Stephen was checking how to build up the bite guards so I can really only use one tooth on one side. I'm supposed to have the use of both sides.  I'll ask if he can give me some more chewing surfaces when I go in in Monday.

I've got a big ulcer on the inside of my lower lip where it rubs against the brackets on the front teeth. I was prepared for that and bought some Bonjela. MAN, does that stuff sting! I don't know if you have ever tried using New Skin liquid on a small cut. It stings unbelievably, and Bonjela on an ulcer is the same. (If you haven't tried the New Skin, then next time you have a paper cut rub some lemon juice in it if you are curious what it feels like.) Then the Bonjela, or the stinging it causes (I'm not sure which) makes you drool like mad. Pro-tip: wait until you are in private and near a sink before applying Bonjela unless you want to do a public impression of the Victoria Falls in the rainy season.

I discovered later in the evening that I also have a big ulcer inside my cheek where it is rubbing against the loose bracket. That was a surprise as the ulcer is not hurting at all. I thought I'd put some Bonjela on it for good measure and nearly hit the roof.

Dental wax on the front lower brackets is working well to reduce the discomfort from the ulcer at the front. I did try ramming some around the broken bracket as well, but that didn't work as the bracket spins around and dislodges the wax. I suppose if I used a large enough piece of wax it might work, but I don't really want to resemble a hamster with its cheek pouches full.

I did a really bad thing in the evening. I had red wine. And a curry. They tell you again and again that these things stain the brackets. I deliberately chose the least colourful (and softest) menu items I could find. I cut them up really small and stuck them right into the back of my mouth where I could chew them (after a fashion; I think I'd probably be more successful if I had no teeth and was just gumming everything) and then swallow without touching the braces.

The red wine didn't make any stains. Except on my reputation; as I was worried about stains I developed a method of drinking from the glass which kind of directed the liquid towards the back of my mouth rather than swooshing it all over my front teeth. I suspect this made me look somewhat deranged, especially when coupled with licking my front teeth after every swig in order to get any red wine off the braces PDQ. The restaurant staff know us very well, but they seemed oddly reluctant to chat. Perhaps it was just that it was a busy Friday night, and I expect I was imagining the strange sidelong glances they threw in my direction every so often.

I think I successfully negotiated the Seekh Kebab starter as there were no red stains on the braces. I also think I successfully negotiated the Nepali Kathmandu chicken main (it's like Tandoori chicken but coated in green herbs instead of bright red stuff) as there were no green stains on the braces. The blithering Mutter Paneer came in such an innocuous looking pale peach coloured sauce that I think I may have been a bit rash. It was the easiest dish to eat so I could shovel spoonfuls down whilst performing the interminable task of cutting up the chicken small enough to require only minimal chewing.  Yes, I think the Mutter Paneer was my downfall. On arriving home I dashed off to clean my teeth and the braces were stained a light shade of yellow just around the edges. Blast.

Actually, it's really not all that noticeable unless you are looking very closely. Which of course I am 5 times a day as I fiddle about with cleaning. Sigh. Oh well, I have only myself to blame. And the Mutter Paneer.

No comments:

Post a Comment