Wednesday 25 April 2012

Movement!

On Monday I popped back in to see Stephen and have the broken bracket glued back on. The procedure was very quick. The problem was partly due to my upper teeth pressing down on that bracket even with the bite guard on that side, so Stephen put on loads of extra cement and also increased the bite guard size. This means that I now have two areas I can use to chew, which is a huge help.

I went on to see my parents, who had no idea I was having braces fitted. They knew I had been to the dentist beforehand, so as I arrived my mother said "How are the gnashers?"

"Being straightened", said I.

She gave me a funny look. "Does that mean you have an Eggbutt Snaffle?"

What a blast from the past. I was your typical horse mad young girl, and I knew everything there was to know about horses, and then some. (Apart from how to bet on them, but I even know that now.) Anyway, when I had all the headgear in my youth it rather resembled a horse's bit, hence the term Eggbutt Snaffle, which is a type of bit.

"No, I don't have an Eggbutt Snaffle, just clear braces."

"Really?" she said, looking suspiciously at my mouth. I opened to let her have a look.

"Oh goodness, you have stuff EVERYWHERE in there!"

Anyway, we put the world to rights and I managed to resist the chocolate she offered me, since Stephen had said I should not eat anything for at least an hour.

When I got home I had a good long look in the mirror. Something was different about the lower jaw. I don't mean where the bracket had been put back; that had a lot more cement on it and did look different. No, it was the other side. The left side. The side with the one tiresome tooth that had swayed me into having a lower brace.

I could have sworn that after the braces were fitted on Thursday the wire had to kink inwards quite sharply in order to attach to the bracket on the tiresome tooth, and then kink back out again to reach the next one. Now, the wire had only a gentle curve in it. "No" I thought. "That can't happen in four days. Or can it?"

I checked out the photos I had taken immediately after the braces were fitted. The angle isn't ideal but I am positive that there was a definite kink which has now gone.

YIPPEEE! We're on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment