Saturday 21 April 2012

Getting used to the braces

Hubby came home late so we popped out for a Greek meal as I knew there would be plenty of soft things on the menu for me to eat.

We started with hummus (very easy to suck off pitta bread, although I am not sure how charming this may have looked), halloumi cheese which found every single gap in the braces to wedge itself into, and loukanika sausage which was chewier than I would have liked so I let Hubby finish my share. I think he quite approves of this lark! Chewing was, as expected, difficult, owing to the fact that my teeth don't meet fully. It is possible to get stuff small enough to swallow but I quickly discovered that the smaller you cut things up in the first place, the easier eating is.

For the main course I had meatballs and rice. The Greeks tend to cook their rice very soft, which is great with new braces because you can just swallow the stuff without chewing. I discovered, however, that Fanos (the chef) had been tweaking his recipes again and there was a load of dried chilli in the rice. That made for a good throat burn. Hooray for cold Keo beer!

Throughout the evening I was noticing increassing pressure on my bottom teeth. It was not at all painful, but the pressure was constant and noticeable. The top teeth only showed signs of being under any pressure if I pushed my tongue against them.

All of a sudden...CRACK! Something had happened. But what? I felt around with my tongue. The braces seemed to be intact. Had a filling come out that I had bitten? I felt around again. Everything felt normal. Hmmm. Strange. I finished off my meatballs and went to the loo to investigate.

What had in fact happened was that the glue on one of the brackets on the lower teeth had failed and the bracket had sprung off the tooth. The wire was still intact and the bracket was just spinning round on it. It didn't look too drastic (and the pressure on the lower teeth had eased off somewhat) so I resolved to ring Stephen in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment