Wednesday 4 April 2012

What did the hairdresser have to do with it?

I was having my hair done at the excellent Escape Hair and Beauty Sanctuary and chatting to Emma.


We got talking about dentistry; I forget how. She said she had a couple of friends who had the Six Month Smiles treatment and were very happy with it. She said that a clinic in Chelmsford was offering free consultations and that her friends had gone to the clinic.

So I made an appointment for a consultation and off I went.

I wasn't dead impressed with the consultation. I had planned not to have my lower teeth done as they are not unsightly and you hardly see them anyway. The dentist I saw wasn't really very helpful in explaining why I should have the lower teeth done as well, and could not explain to me why it was important for my bite to be fully aligned. He suggested I arrange another consultation to find out about Invisalign which they also offer but said that if I wanted just the top teeth done via Six Month Smiles he could do it.

It all felt a bit unsatisfactory, frankly. Also, although the clinic had parking it was not nearly adequate for the size of the facility. The prospect of monthly trips to Chelmsford with a nightmare trying to find somewhere to park was not endearing this clinic to me.

I noticed that a clinic in Witham seemed to be offering Invisalign so I popped in there the following week. Although I didn't really want Invisalign it seemed to be an option, and having a clinic I could walk to had its benefits.

I presented myself at the counter and said to the receptionist "Do you carry out orthodontic treatments here?"

"Orfo wot?"

I tried again. "Orthodontic treatments. Like Invisalign."

"Vizza wot?"

"Invisalign!" I said, staring hard at the two vast posters I had just spotted in the reception area, both advertising Invisalign.

She went off to ask, came back to say they did and then booked me in for a consultation the next day.

At 6pm my mobile went, so I answered it.

"Hello, is that Bella? You've got a consultation booked in for tomorrow. Sorreee but can you tell me what the consultation is for coz there's somefink gone wrong with my computer."

Sigh. "Invisalign."

"Vizza wot? Oh, wait a minute. I remember now."

Hallelujah!

She continued "Well, I forgot to tell you that you will have to pay a £40 consultation fee."

That was the straw the broke the camel's back. I cancelled the appointment.

Back to the drawing board. Or rather the keyboard, and Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment